Currently 0 TOURS in itinerary.
Chillagoe Caves and Outback
Afternoon tea is at own expense.
- Included in price:
- Naturalist guide, Courtesy pick-up and return from Cairns area, Air-conditioned 4wd vehicles, Mareeba Wetlands, Morning Tea, Delicious Aussie lunch, tour of Chillagoe cave, Chillagoe Smelters, The ultimate day in the outback.
- What to bring:
- Closed in footwear, hat, comfortable clothing, sunscreen, a camera, water bottle for the cave walk and money for afternoon tea.
- Fitness level required:
- Child policies:
- Children aged 0-14 yrs, infants included. Infants will be in a baby seat, supplied by operator. Family price applies to 2 adults and 2 children up to the age of 14 years. Additional children may be added to the family at a special price in the booking form.
- Departure points:
- Cairns, Queensland
Port Douglas, Queensland
Palm Cove, Queensland
Cairns Beaches, Queensland
Trinity Beach, Queensland
Thala Beach, Queensland
Yorkeys Knob, Queensland
Lake Placid, Queensland
Clifton Beach, Queensland
Kewarra Beach, Queensland
Machans Beach, Queensland
Holloways Beach, Queensland
- Departure time:
6:45 AM Mon, Wed, Fri
- Pickup/departure instructions:
- Pick up from Accommodation.
- Billy Tea Safaris
- Mareeba and Chillagoe
- Departs From
- Cairns, Port Douglas, Mareeba, Palm Cove, Kuranda, Cairns Beaches, Trinity Beach, Thala Beach, Yorkeys Knob, Lake Placid, Clifton Beach, Kewarra Beach, Machans Beach and Holloways Beach
Your naturalist guide will meet you at your accommodation and after introductions all round, weâ€™ll ascend the McAllister Ranges and head west through Mareeba embarking on a remarkable journey back to prehistoric times, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. Our first stop is Mareeba Wetlands for morning tea and a twenty minute cruise in an environmentally friendly and quiet electric boat. Birdlife is plentiful on the wetlands. (This may change due to wet season flooding) From here we travel through the back blocks of this wetland area viewing wallabies, emus and other wildlife and then along the irrigated agricultural paddocks of this fertile area, eventually crossing over the Great Divide and into the Western watershed. Travel through historical towns and rolling hills rich in minerals eventually giving way to towering limestone karsts scattered around Chillagoe.
Here we delve into the history of the copper smelters, whose old chimneys dominate the western horizon. We visit the remains of the once mighty smelters to ponder what it was like working thereâ€¦.. Now itâ€™s time for a wonderful lunch and scrumptious salad before setting off for our National Parks cave tour. The fossilized remains of the ancient coral reefs with hidden limestone labyrinths give a portal to a lost world just like our own Great Barrier Reef. Millions of years in the making, the limestone formations are nothing short of spectacular.
After the cave tour, we head back towards the east coast, stopping at â€˜Mt Uncle Distilleryâ€™ â€“ Mt Uncle Distillery is the only Distillery north of Bundaberg, you can enjoy a delicious coffee and scones or possibly a wine or beer, or try the Spirit and Liqueur Tasting of their own wonderful Liqueurs and Spirits, these are award wining (own cost). The tour then returns back down the range to Cairns.
A reasonable level of fitness is required for this tour as there are steps into the caves.
The tour may be closed or itinerary changed due to the wet season where conditions may close roads and access to the caves.
â€¢ Afternoon tea and drinks
â€¢ Personal Expenses
. Transfers from Ellis Beach, Thala Beach and Port Douglas transfers are an additional cost of $65.00pp return transfer. From the 1st April 2013 Pickups from Northern Beaches are included.